New Orleans Mardi Gras World Behind-the-Scenes Tour
Get a unique behind-the-scenes look at the makings of Mardi Gras with this all-access tour of Mardi Gras World in New Orleans. Perfect for the whole family, this guided tour shows you where the magnificent floats for the famous Mardi Gras parades are made. Witness the hard work and artistic skill that goes into every float, and learn about the history of the festive Mardi Gras tradition from your guide. Try on Mardi Gras costumes, pose with props, and enjoy a slice of famous King Cake after your tour!
- All entrance fees included
- Fully narrated tour
- Family friendly
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World, 1380 Port of New Orleans Pl, New Orleans, LA 70130-1805
Hop on the complimentary shuttle from any of its 20 convenient downtown New Orleans locations. When you arrive at Mardi Gras World, located on the beautiful riverfront, you’ll be greeted by your friendly, knowledgeable guide for a 1-hour behind-the-scenes tour of this famous facility.
Explore the warehouses where artisans create spectacular Mardi Gras floats that are used in more than 40 parades each year. Admire the intricate designs and vibrant colors of these interesting, one-of-a-kind creations as your guide explains their meanings. Wandering through these magical studio spaces, you’ll see firsthand the skillful craftsmanship that goes into every float, giving you unique insight into the hard work, creativity and extensive planning that goes into such a grand celebration.
Your guide will teach you about the history of this unique and festive tradition that goes beyond its modern-day reputation of wild celebration antics.
Snap photos in front of the floats, pose with props, and try on Mardi Gras costumes with your friends and family. Top your experience off with a piece of King Cake, a delicious Mardi Gras tradition!
Free French Quarter Shuttle Stops
1. Cafe Du Monde, 800 Decatur St.
2. Bourbon Orleans Hotel, 717 Orleans St.
3. Dauphine Orleans Hotel, 415 Dauphine St.
4. Hotel Le Marais, 717 Conti St.
5. Hotel Mazarin, 730 Bienville St.
6. Basin St. Station, 501 Basin St.
Free Downtown Shuttle Route
1. Mardi Gras World Shuttle Stop
2. Marriott on Canal St.
3. Astor Crowne Plaza
4. Ritz-Carlton Maison Orleans
5. Roosevelt New Orleans
6. Le Pavillon Hotel
7. Drury Inn & Suites
8. Whitney Wyndham
9. Staybridge Suites
10. Loews New Orleans
11. Harrah's Hotel
12. Hilton New Orleans Riverside
13. Omni Riverfront Hotel
14. Marriott Convention Center
15. Hampton Inn & Suites
16. Hyatt Place
17. Mardi Gras World
Duration: 1 hour
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: 1380 Port of New Orleans Pl, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
- Duration: 1 hour (Approx.)
- Departure Time: 9:30am - 3:30pm
Tours occur every half hour.
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Guided walking tour
- Slice of King Cake
- Shuttle pickup and drop-off from select downtown New Orleans locations
- Entry/Admission - Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tour does not operate on Mardi Gras Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and Easter
- Completed floats may not be along the tour route the week leading up to Fat Tuesday
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
Average 4.51 out of 5 stars based on 128 verified reviews from Cool Puerto Vallarta and TripAdvisor
Please don't hesitate to reach out to us and we'll always be happy to assist you with any of your future travel plans.
Thanks a lot for booking your tour on Cool Puerto Vallarta.
Would definitely recommend. Fascinating to learn how they put everything together and love that they can recycle. Amazing artistry.
The tour was upbeat, informative, and enjoyable. Everyone on the staff was helpful and friendly and made it a wonderful experience.
I appreciated the shuttle picking me up near Cafe du Monde. After watching a very interesting video of the history of the Mardi Gras parade, we were given a delicious slice of King Cake (rounding out the authentic New Orleans experience). Then our fabulous guide took us through the warehouses where these float masterpieces are housed. This is a working area, so we were able to see the patient, meticulous artisans sketching, carving, spray painting, creating all of these works of art. We could wander among the giant creations, taking many, many pictures. Our guide was hilarious and was incredibly knowledgeable. I’m so glad that I booked this tour!
This tour was great! Not only did we get to see lots of the Mardi Gras floats up close and in various stages of development but the tour guide also gave us extra insight in to the history and meaning of the Mardi Gras parades. Would recommend this tour for visitors of all ages!
Take this tour!! I was hesitant about this tour at first because I did not want to be a cheesy tourist. But you will learn the entire Martis Gras history and get an inside look at the floats -- all while getting the inside stories about what makes Martis Gras so special. There is so much history behind everything that I never appreciated or knew about. You will learn and SEE how props and floats are made. It was such a special experience and I will even go back AGAIN the next time I visit NOLA. You'll have tons of photo opportunities and even get a delicious slice of King Cake. Don't miss this tour!
great transport to and from museum
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call (800) 814 COOL to speak with a Destination Specialist
Product code: COOL-6158ALLMGW
Similar Tours & Activities